A major topic of discussion for anyone, from civilians to trained professionals, is “what to do during an active shooter situation”. The unfortunate reality is that we have to talk about these serious and dangers occurrences as it’s a lurking possibility in our every day lives. Nonetheless, it is reality and the best you can do for yourself and others is to be prepared! Back to the question at hand, the truth of the matter is it varies depending on the situation and surroundings. However, there are some basic guidelines that can help improve the survival rate for you and anyone else involved in an unpredictable active shooter occurrence. Active Shooter Awareness is an active part of our training programs and we do cover many blogs on this topic. We’ve shared links to those blogs below for further reading.
If you are ready to sign up for our training programs or to get more details on what we have to offer please contact us here.
Ready.Gov shared a simple, yet so effective list, covering the basics of what to do during an active shooter situation. Let’s break it down.
- Sign up for an active shooter training.
- “If you see something, say something to an authority right away.”
- “Sign up to receive local emergency alerts”
- “Be aware of your environment and any possible dangers”
Make a Plan
- Talk with your family and make sure everyone is on the same page with what to do in an active shooter situation
- “Look for the two nearest exits anywhere you go, and have an escape path in mind & identify places you could hide”
If the situation occurs
RUN and escape, if possible.
- First priority, is to escape, don’t be a sitting duck
- Once you’ve escaped alert 911 right away
- Warn others in the area to get away
HIDE, if escape is not possible.
- Hide and keep quiet
- Turn your devices on silent
- Try to create barriers between you and the shooter(s) if possible
- Don’t hide in groups, that makes for an easy target
- Try to communicate with 911 to call for help
FIGHT as an absolute last resort.
- If fighting becomes a reality to save your life then be prepared to go full force with all you have
- Create a plan and follow through with any items you can use as weapons and prepare yourself to fight that person for your life
- Don’t hesitate and gather as many people for the “attack” as possible
Check out more of our blogs here: