Magtech Ammunition along with the NRA have come up with the 12 golden rules and fundamentals of gun handling and safety. Respecting your gun and knowing its never a toy is priority. The golden rules shared below help may seem elementary but are true for reason and will keep, not only you, but those around you safe. These Golden Rules extend into whatever situation you may be. Whether in a life threatening situation, the shooting range, or taking part in a hobby sport, you want to know and use all of the right techniques to keep yourself and others out of a dangerous situation.
While we teach many methods for any given scenario through our training, these basic rules can be applied to any training method.
“The 12 Golden rules for Safe Gun Handling
- Always treat the gun as loaded.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
- Never point the gun at anything you don’t intend to destroy.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
- Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
- Always use proper Ammunition.
- Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
- If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
- Don’t rely on the gun’s safety to keep it from firing.
- Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don’t trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything.”
You can check out more useful articles here: